The Sukoon Houseboat, Kashmir
If you’re experiencing an elevated state of mind that combines wisdom, peace and contentment – that’s Sukoon. It’s an old Sufi expression that’s a remarkably apt name for this houseboat.
Spiritual awareness is a key element of the teachings of ancient Kashmiri mystics and is usually celebrated in Sufi poetry as the fruit of devotion and meditation. Relax aboard Sukoon as part of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to India and you could easily find yourself experiencing an elevated state of spiritual awareness. The houseboat’s quiet setting on the beautiful Lake Dal is populated by vividly coloured birds and gorgeous lotus flowers.
The traditional but luxuriously decorated rooms all come with en suite bathroms and large windows with views onto the lake. There is a large living room with pine floors and traditional furniture and there is an elegant, traditionally decorated dining room, where a delicious mix of Kasmiri, Indian and continental food is served.
You will cruise aboard a traditional Shikhara boat past smiling, waving fishermen and local waterside shops. Your journey will be punctuated by waterside gardens created by Mughal emperors, forays to hilltop temples and deserted forts, tiny forest villages, beautiful lakes and sudden wildlife encounters. What better way to see the real India, in complete comfort?
Programmes include: Three day idyll • Four night, five days • Sukoon Weekend • Shikara Rides.
Review of a typical three day programme:
- Breakfast on deck amidst the fragrance of indigenous flowers and birdsong with the Zabarwan Mountains forming a panoramic backdrop
- Cruise on a traditional Shikhara boat along the quiet waterways and canals of Lake Dal
- Visit waterside shops, local communities and colourful bazaars
- Explore hilltop temples and wonderful deserted forts
- Be awe-struck by waterside gardens created by Murghal emperors
- Bargain for Kashmiri materials, embroidery, shawls, jewellery and leatherwork sold from boats, without leaving the Sukoon
- Soak in a fragrant bath on the Sukoon
- Have sundowners before a sumptuous dinner complete with Sufi music
Start building your own itinerary
Whether you're a new or existing customer get in touch with any of our India experts. Everything we do is tailor-made, our experts are ready today to start creating your own personalised itinerary.Email the team