Situated on the edge of the Makgadikgadi Pans, deep in the Kalahari Desert, Jack’s Camp and San Camp offer the opportunity to explore this extraordinary region in a very special way.
The luxury camps, which accommodate a maximum of 12-20 guests, offer great comfort in classic 1940’s style walk-in tents. Both provide a remarkable experience here on the vast Makadikadi Pan, an extinct super lake populated by prehistoric fossils and seemingly devoid of life. In the dry season, day and night desert drives, horseback safaris, quad biking excursions and walks with Bushmen offer a fascinating view of unique desert animals such as the habituated wild meerkat, red hartebeest, brown hyena and oryx.
The Makgadikgadi is also one of the continent’s most important wetland sites. In the wet season, the region attracts large flocks of flamingo and migratory birds who skim across the watery grasslands. It is also possible to see a vast migration - the second-largest in Africa - of blue wildebeest and Burchell's zebra.
Jack’s Camp, at a glance
- A unique setting in the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans of the Kalahari Desert
- Classic 1940s African safari-style complemented by an extensive collection of ancient artefacts
- Nine roomy green canvas tents with wood-burning Morso stoves, ensuite bathrooms and both indoor and outdoor showers
- Each tent has its own veranda fitted with a private plunge pool
- Contrasting seasonal habitats home to leopard, lion, aardvark, gemsbok, springbok and meerkat
- Activities include horseback safaris, classic desert game drives in custom 4x4s, quad biking and walking safaris with Zu/’hoasi bushmen
- Explore the fossil records of giant zebra and hippo
- Swimming pool pavilion, sundeck, spa tent and Persian tea tent
San Camp, at a glance
- Standing on the edge of the Nwetwe Pan in the vast Makgadikgadi – an extinct, country-wide super lake
- Seven classic, billowing white tents sheltered by desert palms
- Mess tent with small natural history museum and library
- Reputation for superb food
- Day and night game drives in custom 4x4s, intuitive walking safaris with indigenous guides and thrilling quad bike adventures over the salt-crusted earth
- Lie out on the pans at night for an incredible stargazing session
- Enjoy up close encounters with the cheeky, habituated meerkats
- Serene yoga and meditation pavilion