Rustic, remote and very friendly, Kizingo is your Kenyan home away from home, on a deserted 12km beach.
Perhaps the first thing you’ll do when you arrive at Kizingo is slip off your shoes, and from that moment on you become a castaway. You feel the freedom of wandering along a beach lapped by the gentle waves of the Indian Ocean, on a tiny island off the coast of Kenya, a million miles from the life you’re used to. And isn’t that the whole point of a holiday? Especially a luxury, tailor-made holiday to Kenya?
Kizingo is the perfect place to realise your freedom. It stands on an untouched beach, stretching 12 km away to the tiny village of Shela. It is also is tiny; accommodating only a very limited number of guests at any one time, ensuring your privacy and uninterrupted tranquillity.
Kizingo, at a glance
- Gem-like eco-resort on the fascinating island of Lamu – a 90 minute flight from Nairobi
- Mombasa is 75 minutes away by plane and boat
- Choice of only eight traditional bandas with thatched roofs and shaded verandas giving terrific sea views
- Large, tented double beds and swing beds on the verandas
- Spacious en suite bathrooms and dressing areas
- Bamboo screens that give privacy, yet fold away to give the sensation of living outside
- Excellent cuisine, based on regional specialities, seafood and locally-grown produce
For leisure and pleasure
- Expansive, largely deserted beach and welcoming waters
- Trips to go swimming with dolphins and fishing
- Sunset dhow cruises and sea kayaking
- Great spot for kite surfing
- Guided cycle rides and bush walks or runs
- Visits to quaint local villages and tours of historic Lamu town - a UNESCO World Heritage Site - with its winding streets too small for cars
- Boutique selling mementos and local artefacts
- Conservation-aware and supporters of the Green Turtle Conservation Programme