Located just a stone’s throw from the hippo-filled Shire River, Mvuu Lodge is well-placed for excursions within the game-rich sanctuary that is Liwonde National Park.
A total of just eight luxury tents make up the accommodation at Mvuu Lodge, resulting in a more intimate safari. Each tent has ensuite bathroom facilities as well as a private viewing platform where you can watch wildlife ambling about the lagoon before you. The communal area features a dining room, library, bar, lounge and swimming pool, all raised well above the water to ensure superb upriver views. A short distance from the main lodge sit the property’s two ‘star beds’ where you can drift off under star-filled African skies.
The Shire River and its surrounding floodplains support a wide variety of wildlife. River safaris offer you the chance to get up close to crocodiles, elephants and hippos bathing in the river, whilst nature walks with experienced guides provide a unique insight into the park’s smallest species. Other activities include traditional day and night game drives, bird watching and challenging multi-day treks.
As well as the preservation of Malawi’s wildlife, the lodge is committed to supporting its local community through various programs and scholarships. During your stay why not visit one of the lodge’s resident conservation projects to see and learn about the work of a wildlife researcher.
Mvuu Lodge, at a glance
- Authentic tented camp with a secluded setting on the western boundary of Liwonde National Park
- Set on the banks of a lagoon just a short distance from the Shire River
- Named after the word for ‘hippo’, reflecting the large pods of these species found in the area
- 16 guests are accommodated in eight luxury raised tents (including one honeymoon suite)
- Comfortably and simply styled in classic safari decor
- Facilities include ensuite bathrooms, indoor/outdoor showers and private decks that look out onto the water
- Main area of the camp features a dining room, pub and cosy lounge
- Eco-friendly with a strong commitment to community development
For leisure and pleasure
- Day and night game drives in well maintained open-sided 4WDs
- Magical river safaris on the peaceful Shire River
- Insightful nature walks with experienced guides
- Excellent birding opportunities
- The adventurous can embark on the three-day Shire River Trail
- Get even closer to wildlife at the lodge’s water-level wildlife hide
- Browse the extensive wildlife library
- Cool off in the swimming pool
- Get an insight into local life with a visit to a nearby village or school