Experience the splendour of a bygone era at this classic, luxuriously appointed tented camp in the midst of the immense Namib Desert.
Reminiscent of the glamour of 1920s travel, Sonop combines awe-inspiring desert views with gastronomic delights and exquisite accommodation. Perched atop a patch of giant boulders, the property’s 10 sophisticated tents are generous in size and inspired by the wealthy explorers of old. Expect plush armchairs, four-poster beds, vintage drawers and bathrooms with copper tubs and rain showers. There’s also telescopes for contemplating the starry night skies. The perfect haven after a day of tracking wildlife on foot, horseback riding and scenic nature drives.
Mealtimes are a highlight - think a la carte breakfasts and five-course, gala-style dinners with silverware, candelabras and black-tie service. After dinner, retreat to the cosy cocktail & cigar lounge to socialise with other guests over cocktails, parlour games and billiards. Other facilities include a soothing spa, a fully-equipped fitness room and a heated outdoor infinity pool where you can drink in sweeping desert views. Those seeking further tranquillity will find yoga and meditation also on the menu of activities.
Sonop, at a glance
• Brand new tented camp in the Karas region of Namibia
• Stunning views across the Namib Desert
• 10 luxuriously appointed canvas tents furnished with antiques, rich carpets, opulent materials and precious woods
• Modern amenities include coffee machines, Wi-Fi, electric kettles, sound and heating systems
• Four-poster beds, plush armchairs, vintage chest of drawers and copper bathtubs
• Gastronomic restaurant with black-tie and white glove service
• Gentlemen’s club-style cocktail & cigar lounge with colonial interiors, a billiards table and parlour games
• Located 1.5 hours from its sister camp, Omaanda
• Solar-powered and sustainability focused
For leisure and pleasure
• Walking safaris and game drives on a 5,600-private reserve
• Scenic flights
• Spa with two double treatment rooms
• A fully-equipped fitness centre with free weights, benches and barbells
• Yoga and meditation retreats
• Stunning outdoor heated infinity pool and bar looking out over the desert
• Horseback excursions