Wild and remote game viewing defines the safari experience at Lion Camp, an intimate property tucked away amongst sausage and mahogany trees in the northern reaches of the South Luangwa.
Set in one of the most exclusive and wildlife-rich corners of Africa, it’s little surprise the game viewing around Lion Camp is exceptional. As its name might suggest, you can expect impressive lion sightings throughout the year and especially during the dry season, as well as leopard, wild dog, elephant and unique species like the Thornicroft’s giraffe and Crawshay’s zebra. Stretched along the side of an oxbow stream, the camp is unfenced and local wildlife are known to move freely about the property. Activities, which include bush walks, game drives and photographic safaris, are limited to four guests and led by a team of professional, enthusiastic guides.
With just 10 airy stilted chalets, Lion Camp prides itself on offering a more intimate, personalised safari experience. Features include lovely views over the plain, private decks, ensuite bathrooms and romantic outside baths, whilst the honeymoon suite has its own rooftop sleep-out deck for a night under the stars.
Connected to the suites by raised wooden walkways, the thatched main building is large, airy and littered with plush sofas. The openness of the lodge allows for sweeping views across the wildlife-strewn landscape, whilst facilities include a small infinity pool, a woven copper bar and a snooker table. Meals served are deliciously authentic and served in a variety of locations, from bush breakfasts overlooking the river to boma dinners under the stars.
Lion Camp, at a glance
- Intimate waterside lodge made up of just 10 thatch, timber and canvas suites
- Overlooking a lagoon in the northern part of South Luangwa National Park where lion and other game is plentiful year-round
- Elephant, hippo, bushbuck, and antelope are regularly spotted wandering through camp
- In-room amenities include 24/7 hot and cold running water, ensuite bathrooms, eco-friendly toiletries, superior quality linens and plush down duvets
- Bush breakfasts overlooking the river and Boma dinners under the stars
- Three-hour road transfer from Mfuwe Airport
For leisure and pleasure
- Enjoy up-close sightings of lion, leopard, wild dog, elephant, buffalo, Thornicroft’s giraffe, Cookson’s wildebeest and Crawshay’s zebra
- Guided walking safaris and day and night game drives
- Wonderful birdwatching and specialist photographic safaris
- Plenty of private nooks and seating areas to relax in the main lodge
- Swimming pool and loungers
- A water-level hide, well-stocked bar, small gym and cosy wildlife reading area make up the facilities