Romantically named after the ebony tree, Mchenja and its five idyllic, grass-walled rooms lie at the heart of the South Luangwa National Park.
Nestled under a towering ebony grove, Mchenja enjoys an enviable setting on a peaceful stretch of the Luangwa River. Its five rooms are naturally elegant and inviting with their feather-topped beds, soft cushions and airy curtains. Each has an outdoor bathroom and clawfoot tub overlooking the river, the perfect vantage point from which to watch elephants crossing the water, as well as large picture windows framing serene views. The camp can even arrange for you to enjoy an enchanting sleep out under the stars.
Cleverly built around a bent ebony trunk, the camp’s main lounge has a spacious treehouse feel and is the perfect spot to unwind to the soundtrack of birdsong and bellowing hippos. You’ll also find a swimming pool overlooking the river, as well as a campfire where you can share tales from your thrilling game drives and bush walks.
The game viewing in the area is exceptional, with wildlife often spotted wandering about camp. If you visit at the right time of year, this is one of the best properties in the South Luangwa for viewing the valley’s famous carmine bee-eaters.
Time + Tide Mchenja, at a glance
- Authentic safari camp with an exceptional riverside location in the South Luangwa
- Five luxurious tented suites, including a two-bedroom family suite
- Comfortably appointed with plush feather-top beds, soft cushions, airy curtains and fans
- Soaking tubs with river views
- No Wi-Fi and phone signal ensures an authentic safari experience
- Main lodge with a dining area, lounge and bar
- Outstanding dining, with dishes are inspired by the flavours, produce and traditions of Zambia
- Reached via a two-and-a-half-hour game drive transfer from Mfuwe Airport
For leisure and pleasure
- Exciting day and night game drives
- Walking safaris with award-winning guides
- Signature ‘Sleep Out Under the Stars’ experience
- Wildlife photography and wildlife viewing from hides
- Swimming pool
- Wonderful al fresco dining under the stars