Rugged, dramatic and yet beautiful, the wilderness of Patagonia welcomes you with fast-flowing rivers, towering mountains, forbidding glaciers and vast lakes. And, of course, Hosteria El Pilar.
Sitting astride your sure-footed horse, picking your way along a shallow, boulder-strewn river bubbling through indigenous Patagonian forest, you can well imagine yourself as one of the original pioneers of this vast landscape. Alone in the wilderness except for your immediate companions, exploring a landscape that changes from forest to rolling plains, lagoons to icefields, jagged toothed mountains to blue-white glaciers.
The pioneering idea won’t leave you when you return to your hotel either. If you specify Hosteria El Pilar as part of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Argentina you’ll be welcomed to an antique country house with period-style architecture, grand lounge with a central, wood-burning fireplace, charming bedrooms with comfortable rustic décor and a restaurant that serves classic cuisine with the flavours of the Patagonian forest.
Hosteria El Pilar, at a glance
- Welcoming hotel in a traditional Patagonian country house, amidst a thick forest of indigenous trees
- Choice of 10 extremely comfortable rooms, with jaw-dropping views over dramatic landscapes, fringed by snow-capped mountains
- All have stylish en suite bathrooms
- Rustic-chic décor in keeping with the regional design of the house
- Most have hardwood floors, gaily coloured textiles and period furniture
- Truly wonderful food from a talented chef, combining the flavours of top international cuisine with distinctive ingredients from the Patagonian forest
For leisure and pleasure
- Horse trekking through the Patagonian forest, across the Rio Blanco and on to Rio Electrico and Laguna Electrico
- Excursions along nature paths to Laguna de Los Tres and Arista de la Morena providing fantastic views of the lagoon, icebergs and Fitz Roy Granite Wall with its dramatic needles
- Trips to Glaciar Piedras Blancas and beyond to the lagoon and ice bergs
- Mountain biking, rappelling and expert kayaking
- Bird watching
- Sailing across Lago Viedma to Glaciar Viedma