The old-style elegance and wonderful service, the parade of stunning landscapes and intriguing destinations make this journey one of the world’s most epic train rides.
Even if you are not a collector of great train journeys, you will not be able to suppress a feeling of exhilaration and expectation as you board The Ghan in either Adelaide or Darwin. You’re about to travel – in real style – from the top of the continent to the bottom (or vice versa) on a mighty rail behemoth. 30 carriages long and stretching almost 800 metres from top to tail, The Ghan will be your mobile home for the next three days, taking you almost 3,000 km through some of the country’s most iconic scenery.
Make The Ghan part of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Australia and you’ll see the fertile plains around Adelaide, the fiery Red Centre, Alice Springs, the remote outback, the spiritual Nitmiluk Gorge….
The Ghan, at a glance
- Luxurious, 30-carriage train travelling between Adelaide and Darwin
- Three different levels of service; silver, gold and platinum
- The most luxurious cabins typically feature large picture windows for viewing on both sides of the train
- Bedrooms that reconfigure into comfortable private lounges with deluxe seating
- Double or twin beds
- Full size en suite bathrooms
- Superb Queen Adelaide Restaurant decorated in the elegant style of a bygone era, serving world class food
For leisure and pleasure
- Travel in relaxed style from Darwin to Adelaide or vice versa
- Admire the large rock formations of Nitmiluk Gorge at Katherine
- Experience a working cattle ranch deep in the outback
- Enjoy helicopter flights over Kakadu and Nitmiluk National Park
- Explore Alice Springs • Fly over Uluru and Kata Tjuta
- Immerse yourself in the vastness of the Northern Territory
- Go star gazing in the wilderness
- Meet the underground residents of Coober Pedy’s opal mines
- Photograph the rich plains around Adelaide
- Not Ideal