With its 50 acre estate gardens, its main residence created by an Italian duchess and its impeccable beach, Esencia is close to – but far from – Playa del Carmen.
Midway between the town of Tulum and the relentless resort of Playa del Carmen lies a quiet, dignified enclave – the bay of Xpu-Ha. And it is here that you’ll find the romantic hideaway that was originally built for an exiled Italian duchess; now an exclusive boutique hotel gathered around the elegant main house. Make it part of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Mexico and you’ll quickly discover the Esencia is essential. For its two fine restaurants, organic spa, heated pools, sunrise yoga and air of utter tranquillity. And, of course, its unpressurised beach.
Indeed you may not be the only visitors to head for the Hotel Esensia’s beach. That particularly fine stretch of sand is a natural haven that sea turtles visit every year to make their nests.
Hotel Esencia, at a glance
- Refined boutique hotel on the edge of a beautiful beach
- Set in quiet Xpu-ha, midway between Playa dl Carmen and Tulum
- Choice of 29 generous guest rooms and suites with engaging views of the Bay of Xpu-ha and hotel pool
- Glamorous en suite bathrooms and walk in closets
- All have individually themed decor and layouts
- The ocean suite, for example, offers a large private terrace and a very airy living room
- Two excellent restaurants drawing on the best of international cuisine and Mexico’s eclectic regional specialities
For leisure and pleasure
- State-of-the-art spa with bespoke therapies designed to restore you
- Snorkelling with turtles off the hotel beach
- Diving and freediving with the record-holding experts
- Kite and paddle boarding close to the hotel
- Deep sea fishing expeditions
- Horse riding along the beach at an EcoPark
- Excursions to visit the 13th century Mayan Ruins at Tulum
- Driving tours of Chichen Itza and Rio Secreto, the underground river
- Easy access to golf on a 27 hole course surrounded by Mayan jungle
- Cenotes and zip lining at an adventure park