A seamless blend of modern luxury and Chinese tradition, the isolated Li-An Lodge commands an unbeatable view over Longsheng’s stepped rice terraces.
Perched high up in the village of Ping’an, the views from Li-An Lodge over the region’s idyllic mountainsides stretch out as far as the eye can see. In keeping with ancient Chinese building traditions, the property was built entirely out of wood without the use of a single nail, adopting instead the traditional ‘tongue and groove’ technique. Designed by renowned Chinese photographer Keren Su, whose extensive collection of art objects adorn the interiors of the lodge, Li-An sits in total harmony with its natural surroundings.
Each of the 16 rooms comes individually decorated and themed after a different aspect of Chinese culture, but the best enjoy sweeping views over Longji’s spectacular ‘Dragon Spine’ rice terraces. The area is a dream hiking and photography destination, with easy access from the lodge to various walking trails leading to remote villages and scenic viewpoints.
Li-An Lodge, at a glance
- Characterful boutique property designed in the traditional Chinese style by photographer owner Keren Su
- A beautifully secluded location atop a mountain in the village of Ping’an
- Far-reaching views across the magnificent rice terraces
- 16 individually styled rooms fitted with custom handcrafted furniture, local Chinese arts and crafts, traditional instruments and porcelain
- All the rooms are air conditioned and come equipped with ensuite bathrooms with shower facilities
- Select rooms have spacious balconies offering spectacular sunrise views over the terraces
- Interiors are adorned with local photographs and artwork
For leisure and pleasure
- Set off on guided walks through the beautiful rice terraces
- Explore nearby villages to learn about the locals’ traditional way of life
- Follow various walking trails from the lodge to scenic spots in the surrounding countryside
- Dining consists of a range of Chinese and Western dishes, including some local delicacies prepared using locally grown ingredients
- The inviting library and lounge provides a relaxing space to unwind after a day spent exploring the surrounding countryside