Perched in the foothills of Mt Meru – the fifth highest peak in Africa – Rivertrees is perfectly positioned for exploring the incredible nature reserves of northern Tanzania.
Once an old coffee farm, Rivertrees today is a homely country estate offering unpretentious comfort and a genuine welcome. The property sits on 10 sprawling acres, a natural extension of Mt Meru’s lush green foothills, and looks out towards the fabled Mt Kilimanjaro. Individually designed and incredibly private, its rustic cottages are dotted along the river and tucked into the shade of tall trees. Each has a small veranda with chairs.
Follow one of the winding pathways that weave through the lush grounds and you’ll find yourself at the sparkling swimming pool, massage hut or restaurant where you can enjoy a garden-fresh meal in the sun. Just outside the bustling safari town of Arusha, Rivertrees finds itself at the heart of nature reserves, montane forests and vibrant villages, offering endless scope for exploration. Birdwatching on the estate can also be very rewarding.
Rivertrees at a glance
- Small and elegant country estate set in tropical gardens along the banks of the Usa River
- Located halfway between the town of Arusha and Kilimanjaro Airport
- Stunning views of Mount Meru and Mount Kilimanjaro on a clear day
- Individually designed garden rooms and cottages furnished with large wooden beds and colonial-style decor
- Delicious home cooking prepared using garden-fresh ingredients and old family recipes
For leisure and pleasure
- Swimming pool
- Outdoor massage hut
- Within easy reach of Arusha National Park, Mt Meru and Lake Duluti
- Self-guided birdwatching tours around the gardens
- Canoeing on Duluti’s crater lake
- Coffee tours
- Mountain biking
- Local village visits