12 cool tented chalets set against the sweeping desert plains and fiery red dunes of the breathtaking NamibRand Nature Reserve.
The lodge lies deep within this 200,000-hectare wilderness, a striking landscape that you’ll be able to explore on horseback, game drives, quad bikes, hot air balloon and helicopter flights. Keeping your eyes peeled all the while for a glimpse of gemsbok, bat-eared foxes and other unique, desert-adapted wildlife. Day trips out to the mighty dunes of Sossusvlei can also be arranged.
Africa’s very first designated International Dark Sky Reserve, the stargazing opportunities in the NamibRand are simply sensational. Each chalet has its own open-to-the-sky ‘stargazer’ room just for admiring the constellations, as well as a vintage four-poster bed, outdoor shower and shaded veranda where you can take in the stunning desert vistas. The main area has a refreshing pool, a well-stocked bar and library. Large glass doors and windows that make the most of the outdoor scenery.
Kwessi Dunes, at a glance
- Located on a private 15,000-hectare expanse of desert terrain in the northern part of the NamibRand Nature Reserve
- 12 air-conditioned chalets (including two family units) with vintage four-poster beds and striped canvas walls
- High thatched roofs designed to keep you cool during the heat of the day
- Ensuite bathrooms and both indoor and outdoor showers
- Each bedroom has its own open-air ‘stargazer’ room
- Soak in incredible desert vistas from the rooms, the main area and the swimming pool
- Well stocked bar alongside several social and dining areas
- Entirely solar-powered
For leisure and pleasure
- Outstanding stargazing opportunities in Africa’s first designated International Dark Sky Reserve
- Swimming pool set within a wooden deck
- Morning and afternoon scenic drives and nature walks
- Hot air ballooning and helicopter flights
- Horseback riding and quad biking
- Day trips to the Sossusvlei dunes
- Relaxing spa treatments