Gracing the banks of the Zambezi, within a stone’s throw of the thunderous Victoria Falls, is the beautiful Thorntree River Lodge.
Located on the Livingstone side of the famous falls, Thorntree serves up luxurious riverside accommodation in Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park. Though airy and contemporary in style, with floor-to-ceiling windows and a cool colour palette, design cues for the lodge were taken from local culture and customs in order to maintain an authentic African feel. The 10 suites all boast sumptuous private plunge pools that you can sink into after your 4x4 safari or river excursion.
Alongside daily trips to the Victoria Falls, guests enjoy access to a variety of activities, from cultural visits to sunset cruises, fishing, birding and rhino-tracking excursions. The sunken boma on the lodge’s expansive wooden deck provides a wonderful setting to enjoy a drink or romantic dinner as the sun goes down. Meanwhile, the adjacent infinity pool offers the perfect respite from the midday heat. There is also a spa with enchanting river views, as well as a gym and a small library where you can catch up on some reading.
Thorntree River Lodge, at a glance
- Contemporary tented safari lodge set on the banks of the Zambezi River in the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park
- Just 20 minutes upstream from the iconic Victoria Falls
- Eight standard suites and four family suites, all with river views
- Indoor and outdoor bathrooms with standalone tubs
- Private plunge pools
- African-inspired fine dining, with meals served in an outdoor dining area overlooking the river
- Floating wooden deck with a fire pit edging out into the river
For leisure and pleasure
- Daily excursions to the Zambian side of the Falls (and Zimbabwean side during the dry season)
- Spa, gym and small library
- History and culture trips
- Fishing, birding and canoeing
- Sunrise and sunset boat cruises
- 4x4 safari excursions and rhino tracking within the national park
- Visits to the nearby Livingstone Museum
- External activities such as guided rainforest walks, bungee jumping and helicopter flips over the falls can also be arranged