Perched on the edge of the Macal River, with stunning views towards the Black Rock Canyon, Black Rock Lodge is a delightfully off-grid retreat.
Hidden amidst the thick rainforest of western Belize, this eco-friendly jungle resort lies around two-and-a-half hours west of Belize City. Guests are accommodated in individual cabins that are dotted about the lush grounds and simply decorated with local artwork. Each has a private bathroom, veranda and hammock where you can relax and admire the limestone cliffs, tropical jungle and serene river. When it comes to dining, delicious meals are prepared using organic ingredients plucked straight from the onsite farm and served in the rustic open-air dining room.
For those feeling adventurous, the lodges’ menu of activities will leave you spoilt for choice. Excursions can be arranged to iconic attractions like the Mayan ruins of Caracol and the ATM Caves. The property’s skilled team of guides are some of the best in the country and really bring the history and culture of the region to life on every tour. More leisurely pursuits include hiking the numerous trails, birdwatching, horseback riding and gentle river-tubing. There is a small pool for cooling off between adventures.
Black Rock Lodge, at a glance
- Secluded jungle lodge on the banks of the Macal River in Belize’s Cayo District
- Surrounded by rugged mountains and thousands of acres of lush tropical rainforest
- 14 cabins with high ceilings and river-facing verandas
- Private bathrooms with hot showers
- Spacious open-air dining room with a thatched palapa roof
- Breakfast and lunch are served a la carte, with a family-style set menu for dinner
- Skilled team of expert guides
- Sustainable tourism is at the heart of the operation, with the use of solar panels and hydro-power electricity
For leisure and pleasure
- Guided trips to nearby caves and Mayan ruins
- Outstanding birdwatching
- Guided and self-guided forest hikes and night walks
- Canoeing and river tubing on the Macal River
- Horseback riding
- Practice yoga on the lodge’s scenic platform
- Small swimming pool