A family-run hotel in the surrounds of the Monteverde cloud forest reserve. Hotel Belmar offers its guests a warm and friendly stay when exploring one of Costa Rica’s most bio-diverse areas.
Owned and run by the Belmar family, the hotel has been operating for over 30 years but was completely renovated in 2012. The family pride themselves in protecting the natural habitat surrounding the hotel and have won awards for their conservation efforts. It was one of the original hotels in the area and since opening in 1985, has pioneered tourism in the cloud forest.
Two thirds of the hotel’s beautiful 3.5-hectare property is composed of pristine cloud forest, including a stream, waterfall, and pond. The forest is home to a number of endangered species and there is a private self-guided trail system for guests to explore.
Around the two chalets that compose the hotel, you will also find naturally landscaped gardens with luscious native plants, a vegetable and herb garden, and a beautiful spring water pond with a sun deck.
Aside from the private trail in the hotel’s reserve, Hotel Belmar is located in the entranceway to other trails. The most notable is Cerro Amigos, which is the highest mountain in the entire region. On clear days you can see the Pacific, the Arenal Volcano, and sometimes even glimpses of the Atlantic Ocean.
There are a variety of different room categories, but all feature Wi-Fi, a freshly-brewed Costa Rican coffee service and are furnished with locally crafted and hand carved wooden furniture.
The restaurant and bar uses ingredients from the hotel's own organic gardens. There is also a microbrewery onsite, which produces a variety of IPA's, Stouts and Ales.
For relaxation there is a Jacuzzi and massages and therapies can be organised.
Hotel Belmar, at a glance
- Family run hotel with warm and friendly staff
- Operating for over 30 years but refurbished in 2012
- Eco-friendly hotel, looking to minimise any carbon footprint
- Characterful rooms with views of the cloud-forest
- Restaurant and bar using fresh produce from the garden
- Microbrewery onsite
- Jacuzzi and spa treatments available
For leisure and pleasure
- Explore the nearby Monteverde cloud-forest reserve
- Private self-guided trails within the hotel's grounds
- Nocturnal and early morning birdwatching activities
- Visit nearby Arenal and the hot springs
- Canyoning tours and waterfall rapeling
- Explore orchid and butterfly gardens