An eco-lodge only accessible by boat, surrounded by tropical forest and overlooking the tranquil waters of the Golfo Dulce.
Unique in its beauty and seclusion, Playa Cativo is set in 1,000 acres of private tropical rainforest reserve and surrounded by the Piedras Blancas National Park, an extension of Corcovado National Park, one of the country’s most famous and biodiverse.
Set a short distance back from the calm emerald waters of the bay, the main lodge is home to 18 elegant and individual styled rooms, designed using beautiful reclaimed hard wood and furnished in a plantation style. Each room offers spectacular sunset views and come with modern features including ceiling fans and wi-fi.
In Playa Cativo’s el Gavilán restaurant, farm-to-table dishes are served, with ingredients handpicked from the lodge’s own organic gardens. The seasonal a-la-carte menu regularly changes, but specialities include freshly sourced seafood, organic poultry and grass-fed Costa Rican beef.
A stay at Playa Cativo can be as active or relaxing as you like, with a whole variety of activities available from the lodge. Hiking in the Piedras Blancas National Park, sea-kayaking, boat trips in search of dolphins and whales and nocturnal activities are all available, as well as self-guided trails, snorkelling and stand-up paddle boarding in the bay. The diverse ecosystem of the mangroves, jungle and coast mean wildlife including guests Howler monkeys and Scarlet Macaws can often be seen.
After a morning activity, there is no better way to spend the afternoon than relaxing on the lodge’s virtually private beach or by the fresh-water pool. There is also the El Gazebo sunset bar, where guests can enjoy one of the lodge’s signature cocktails and drink in the beautiful views.
Playa Cativo, at a glance
- Remote eco-lodge only accessible by boat
- 18 elegant and individually styled rooms
- Farm-to-table dining concept with ingredients from the lodge’s organic garden
- Surrounded by untouched tropical rainforest and with virtually it’s own private beach
- Fresh water swimming pool surrounded by towering palm trees and tropical gardens
- Beautiful sunsets over the Golfo Dulce
For leisure and pleasure
- A mixture of guided and self-guided activities are included or can be paid and organised locally at the lodge
- Kayak, snorkel or stand-up paddle board in the tranquil waters of the bay
- Hike through the tropical jungle of the Piedres Blancas National Park
- Whale and dolphin watching tours in the bay
- Relax by the pool or in the hammocks on the beach
- Bird watching tours and nocturnal wildlife trails