Sleek and immaculately appointed, the 101 Hotel in Reykavik was one of the first, and is still one of the finest, of Iceland’s boutique hotels.
Owned by interior designer Ingibjörg S. Pálmadóttir, the 101 Hotel has completely transformed since its humble, office building beginnings. Decorated in a chic palette of black, white and slate grey, the property today is a stylish haven full of clean, modern lines and contemporary Icelandic artwork. It even has its own gallery adorned with the work of local artists. Set in the busy heart of downtown Reykjavik, the city’s attractions are at your feet, including the Icelandic Opera House, National Gallery and Museum.
Minimalist yet comfortable, the open-plan guestrooms contrast glossy black furnishings with crisp white Italian linens, with the thoughtful addition of heated floors. Freestanding baths fill with geothermal waters, but you can also unwind in the steam bath or Jacuzzi in the basement spa. The futuristic, glass-roofed restaurant serves a mix of modern Icelandic and international dishes. The adjacent bar & lounge draws guests and locals alike with its trendy atmosphere, tree-trunk tables and wood-burning fireplace.
101 Hotel, at a glance
- Incredibly chic hotel set at the heart of downtown Reykjavik
- A former 1930s office building once home to the Icelandic Social Democratic Party
- 32 rooms and six suites with heated oak floors, freestanding bathtubs and walk-in showers
- Sleek interiors full of black and white furnishings, clean lines and contemporary artwork
- Modern amenities including widescreen TVs and iPod sound-docks
- Trendy bar and cocktail lounge adorned with high walls and a glass ceiling
- Restaurant serving modern Icelandic and international cuisine
For leisure and pleasure
- Close to the Icelandic Opera House, National Gallery and National Museum
- A 10-minute stroll from the city’s harbour area
- On-site art gallery featuring a curated collection of local artwork
- Spa with a steam bath and Jacuzzi
- Small but well-equipped fitness centre
- In-room massages
- Dedicated full concierge service