A collection of tranquil, waterside villas overlooking Kerala’s backwaters, Philipkutty’s Farm offers a charming homestay experience in this enchanting region.
A stay here is a unique opportunity to experience life on a traditional Keralan working farm - all whilst enjoying the warm hospitality of a local Kuttanadam family. Set on a peaceful island in Lake Vembanad, you’ll be perfectly positioned for exploring Kerala’s winding waterways and countryside by boat and bike, discovering ancient temples, birdwatching and seeing day-to-day life along the backwaters.
Back at the farm, you can chat with the friendly family members, take a cooking class, practise yoga or visit the neighbouring Ayurvedic Centre for a relaxing massage or treatment. Otherwise, you can simply relax on your private red-oxide veranda and watch life on the water roll by. Tasty, home-cooked meals are served family-style in the dining room or out in the courtyard under an old mango tree. You can also dine privately in you prefer.
Each homely villa sits totally independent of each other and the main family residence, offering total privacy. The interiors, in keeping with typical backwater bungalows, are open and airy, with simple bathrooms, rustic clay floors and comfy wooden beds.
Philipkutty's Farm, at a glance
- Working organic farm and homestay located on an island on Lake Vembanad
- Owned and run by a local Kuttandan backwater family
- Accommodation is made up of five spacious waterfront villas overlooking the tranquil backwaters
- Rooms feature air conditioning, ensuite bathrooms, Wi-Fi, antiques, fridges, writing desks, wardrobes and netted windows
- Plenty of doors and windows allow a natural breeze to blow through
- Private ‘sit out’ verandas wrap around every villa - perfect for watching the evening fireflies
- Dine on delicious home-cooked meals family-style in the thatched dining pavilion
- The cuisine is Syrian Christian with a strong backwater influence
- Private dining can also be arranged
For leisure and pleasure
- Enjoy guided tours of the working farm
- Cruise Kerala’s beautiful backwaters in a traditional country boat
- Great birdwatching opportunities on the backwaters and in the nearby Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary
- Take a cooking class to learn how to prepare regional dishes
- Enjoy massages and various treatments at the Ayurvedic Centre opposite the farm
- Help the locals to reel in the Chinese-style fishing nets
- Practice yoga with an experienced yoga master