A boutique hotel where guests are welcomed like long lost friends, the family-friendly Why House is a tranquil retreat close to stunning beaches and Sri Lanka’s UNESCO-listed Galle Fort.
Beautifully situated within a three-acre walled garden filled with tropical plants and spice trees, the Why House enjoys an enviable location along the southern coast. A short walk or tuk-tuk ride will bring you to beautiful Dalawella Beach where a lagoon and protective reef offer safe swimming throughout the year. Equally enticing is the nearby Galle Fort with its great battlements and bastions. The hotel can also help arrange guided bicycle rides, surfing, snorkelling, tea plantation tours and temple visits in the local area.
The large pool provides the perfect refresher in between sightseeing excursions, whilst the property’s wide shaded verandas are wonderful for relaxing with a book. The architecture is typical of the region, with high timber roofs and refined colonial-style interiors throughout. Up to 24 guests are accommodated in the 10 double ensuite bedrooms, each with a private garden or pool-facing terrace. The Why House is renowned for its cuisine, and guests can learn how to prepare delicious Sri Lankan delicacies themselves with an in-house cooking class.
Why House, at a glance
- Family-orientated boutique resort located close to Galle Fort and the pretty beaches of the south coast
- Surrounded by rice paddies and jungle
- Welcoming ‘home away from home’ ambience
- All rooms feature air conditioning and a luxurious ensuite bathroom
- The Main House and Garden House can be booked independently, and the whole property taken on an exclusive basis
- Open-sided dining pavilion and an elegant lounge
- Mix of Sri Lankan, Asian and Western favourites on the menu
For leisure and pleasure
- Swimming in Dalawella lagoon
- Walking tours around the extraordinary Galle Fort
- Large swimming pool and extensive landscaped gardens
- Sri Lankan cooking demonstrations
- Cultural performances from local musicians, dancers, tumblers and fire breathers
- Massage pavilion and Ayurveda treatments
- Individual and group yoga classes