In the heart of the world’s largest wetland, Pousada do Rio Mutum is a wildlife haven, surrounded by some of South America’s most incredible nature.
Pousada do Rio Mutum is in Brazil's northern Pantanal, three hours by road from the nearest airport at Cuiabá. Surrounded by hills, rivers, lakes and grassy plains, the area is home to a huge variety of wildlife and tropical plants. It's one of the richest and most bio-diverse parts of South America.
The lodge itself has just twenty-two simple, yet comfortable rooms, each free-standing and decorated in a traditional style. All of the rooms have private bathrooms and a veranda with hammock. Even from your own cabin you can relax and enjoy the tropical birds in the trees around the lodge.
There is refreshing outdoor swimming pool, a terrace bar and restaurant which is where all meals are served. There is also a games and TV room as well as a small shop.
Pousada do Rio Mutum have their own guides and vehicles and each day is spent on game drives into the wetlands. There are trails to explore and the lodge has its own 4x4 to take you deeper into the savannah. They also have horses for riding safaris, as well as canoes and boats to take you out when the region is flooded. Specialist photo safaris can be organised too and fishing (although only available from March to October).
A true paradise for nature lovers, the Pantanal is home to a huge variety of birds and animals. Watch alligators as they bask on the banks of the river; otters, tapir and iguanas as you kayak on the waterways and capybara as they graze in the marshes.
Pousada do Rio Mutum, at a glance
- Wildlife lodge in Brazil's northern Pantanal
- Excellent position between the Sia Mariana and Chachorore lakes
- Surrounded by hills, lakes, rivers and grassy plains
- Just 22 rooms, each with ensuite and private verandas
- Outdoor swimming pool, restaurant, bar and games room
- 3 hours from Cuiabá airport
For leisure and pleasure
- Daily activities are included with the lodges own guides
- Early morning and nocturnal nature trails and boat tours
- Canoeing, horse-riding and specialist photo-safaris
- 4x4 trips to the further afield areas
- Fishing (additional cost) for piranha, dourado, barbado and pintado