For those looking to really escape the hustle and bustle, Monasterio del Viento is a delightfully off-grid retreat perched on the tiny Caribbean island of Providencia in Colombia.
Monasterio del Viento may not be the easiest of places to get to, but it is precisely this inaccessibility that makes it such an appealing place to stay. Surrounded by golden beaches and marine-rich waters, you won’t have to share this Caribbean paradise with many others. The property itself only accommodates 12 guests in four beautiful bedrooms, each with an abundance of natural light. The decor is bright and vibrant throughout with a distinct island motif, including beautiful mosaic work created by local artists.
There are plenty of both indoor and outdoor spaces to relax, read and practise yoga in, as well as a small beach where you can bask in the sun or find some shade with a book. There’s sublime snorkelling and diving to be had on the island’s pristine reef - a designated UNESCO Biosphere Reserve - as well as the opportunity for fishing, nature eco-walks, cooking classes, kayaking and wakeboarding.
Monasterio del Viento, at a glance
- Captivating beach house hotel situated on the remote Colombian island of Providencia
- Perched directly over the glistening turquoise waters of the Caribbean
- Reached by a small aircraft from San Andres or a three-hour catamaran ride
- Accommodates a maximum of 12 guests in four bedrooms
- Two of the rooms are larger with private bathrooms, whilst the other two share a bathroom
- Colourful island-themed decor featuring wicker furniture, bright Caribbean fabrics and crisp white linens
- Modern kitchen serving Caribbean-Colombian dishes prepared using the highest quality local ingredients, sourced sustainably
- Undisturbed views of the Caribbean Sea and lush natural surroundings
For leisure and pleasure
- Well-stocked tiki bar serving cocktails alongside gorgeous sea views
- Inviting living room
- Freshwater infinity pool surrounded by a pretty mosaic mural
- Three decks with hammocks and seats to lounge in
- Countless water sports available including skiing, wakeboarding and kayaking
- Enjoy fabulous snorkelling and scuba diving in marine-rich waters
- Watch horse races on the beach
- Explore the island on foot or by bike
- Practice yoga or enjoy a massage