Dating back to the 16th century (when it was a Jesuit Monastery) the ‘honey bottom’ was – and still is – famed for its phenomenal gardens, orange and lemon groves.
Make the Grand Hotel Cocumella part of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Italy and you’ll soon see why it earned its nickname. The hotel’s name comes from ‘colomeide’, or ‘honey bottom’, an allusion to the monastery’s fertile groves of fragrant citrus fruits. The Cocumella has been a hotel for almost two hundred years, and the allusion still stands in good stead – today’s gardens stretch for acre after acre of tree-lined paths, lily ponds, ancient walls and statues, hanging flowers, secluded walks and fruit trees.
The hotel itself is hardly less picturesque. Its lounges are supremely graceful with archways and glittering chandeliers. Its terraces offer unrivalled, sweeping views of the Mediterranean or the tranquil gardens. The suites typically have private balconies overlooking the sea and spectacular trompe l’eoil ceilings.
Grand Hotel Cocumella, at a glance
- Elegant hotel recreated from a 16th century monastery
- Choice of rooms and suites
- Many suites feature separate sitting rooms, grand marbled bathrooms and private balconies with their own Jacuzzis
- Rooms have traditional furnishings and lavish décor
- Classic tiled floors and en suites
- Period style furniture and beds with canopies or ornate headboards
- Delightful, formal dining room or al fresco dining terrace serving fine regional Italian cuisine
For leisure and pleasure
- Superb swimming pool with sun deck, chef-prepared food and cocktails
- Fitness centre with a wide range of exercise machines and weights
- Spa with serene treatment rooms and a extensive menu of relaxing treatments, soothing rituals and restorative therapies
- Tennis courts
- Beach Club with floating sun deck and swimming pontoon
- Sailing along the Amalfi Coast aboard the hotel’s exclusive yacht
- Romantic on-board dinners