Walk along the Via Banchi di Sopra and prepare to wonder. The Grand Hotel Continental is an absolutely magnificent building, even by the high standards of Siena. A true jewel in the city’s architectural treasure trove, the Palazzo Gori Pannilini – as it was known in the 17th century – was considered glorious enough by Pope Alexander VII to make a fitting wedding present for his niece Olimpia.
As you’ll discover, the grandeur remains to this day. High, arched and decorated ceilings, grand lintels, priceless furniture and refined marble provide the most magnificent backdrop to a wealth of exceptional frescoes, original paintings and carefully chosen sculptures. The opulence continues into the guest rooms too. So you can expect décor that includes silver inlaid mirrors, travertine marble bathrooms and rich silks.
Grand Hotel Continental, at a glance
- The only five star hotel within the city walls
- Choice of classic, executive, deluxe and royal guest rooms
- Interior design includes period-style frescoes, rich materials, Chinese porcelain lamps and marble and travertine en suite bathrooms
- Selection of luxury suites that reflect the tastes of the 17th century Siena aristocracy, plus superb views over the medieval city
- Unrivalled Tuscan and Italian dishes presented in the fine restaurant
- Exquisite wine cellar
For leisure and pleasure
- Inner courtyard with glass cupola
- Immediate access to the historic wonders of medieval Siena
- A few steps from the famous Duomo
- Between the Piazza del Campo and Piazza Salimbeni
- Close to Palazzo Pubblico, Pinacoteca and the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo
- Perfectly situated for city tours and beyond