Palazzo Margherita in Bernalda is an elegantly simple-yet-luxurious boutique hotel created in a genuine 19th century palazzo.
The chances are you haven’t heard of Bernalda, or even the province of Matera. But that only adds to its appeal because, as an experienced traveller, if you don’t know the region the chances are that most other visitors don’t either.
That’s one great reason to make the Palazzo Margherita, in Bernalda, one of the destinations on your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Italy. The other, of course, is the hotel itself. Purchased in 2004 by Francis Ford Coppola – his grandfather was born in Bernalda - it features simple stone walls and arched ceilings that date back to the 19th century. Plus a garden restaurant with its own water feature. A tradition of great regional food created from fresh, local ingredients. And that unmistakable, understated air of rural tranquillity.
Palazzo Margherita, at a glance
- Elegantly simple-yet-luxurious boutique hotel created in a genuine 19th century palazzo
- Choice of three garden suites and six luxury suites, all retaining a peaceful, historic atmosphere
- Tiled floors and Moroccan and Baroque-style hand-painted frescoes
- Garden suites typically feature en suite sitting rooms and private gardens
- Luxury suites may include a Juliet balcony and overlook the pretty courtyard
- Courtyard, garden and in-kitchen dining, plus choice of three bars
For leisure and pleasure
- Superb swimming pool surrounded by a courtyard and picturesque gardens
- Just 20 minutes from glorious beaches and shore-side tavernas
- Great sight-seeing in the quaint, hilltop town of Bernalda
- Easy access to the authentic lifestyle, culture, food and wine of Matera
- Close to ancient cave dwellings, unspoiled villages and historic houses
- Regional cookery classes
- Italian movie library
- Yoga, pilates and massage