Ahilya – a remarkable hotel in a 250 year old fort, in a town that has been inhabited for 4000 years, beside a sacred river that is absolutely timeless.
If you want to absorb the essence of India there is no better place to stay than in a fort that dates back to the 1760s, in Maheshwar - one of Madhya Pradesh’s oldest, continuously inhabited towns - on the banks of the sacred Narmada River.
Make the Ahilya Fort your choice during your luxury, tailor-made holiday to India and you’ll be sleeping in a guest room that combines traditional India with modern design – or in a romantic tent with its own pool and terrific river views. And during the day you’ll be able to visit towns like Islamic Mandu, the fabulous temples of Baneshwar and Omkareshwar, or cruise gently down the sacred river in a traditional wooden boat. To name but a few ways of experiencing India.
Ahilya Fort, at a glance
- Exclusive boutique hotel set in an 18th century fort overlooking the Narmada River
- Easy access to the ancient town of Maheshwar
- Choice of 13 individual guest rooms arranged in six separate buildings, plus a romantic, marquee tent overlooking the river
- Tent has a comfortable sitting room, luxurious bedroom and en suite bathroom, swimming pool, private garden and great views of two nearby temples
- Suites have has large bedrooms, separate lounges, en suite bathrooms and private balconies with great river views
- Superb home-cooked food including a wide range of Indian specialities and international dishes
For leisure and pleasure
- Swimming pool surrounded by a butterfly garden
- Fabulous sightseeing including trips in traditional wooden boats along the river to Thousand Cascades waterfalls
- Sunset cruises to Baneshwar Temple
- Great birdwatching and nature observation
- Cultural visits to a local school and along the river banks on laundry day
- Meet handloom weavers creating Maheshwari textiles at the Rehwa Society
- Outings to the Hindu temple at Omkareshwar, Rajwada Palace, a Jain Temple and the Islamic city of Mandu