One of the best ways to gain a real picture of rural life – and see some of the country’s most elusive and interesting wildlife – is by boat.
But the Lotus is not just any old boat. It is one of Kerala’s traditional rice barges that have been a feature of the area’s waterways for decades; now converted to carry you along the region’s remote backwaters and beautiful rivers in idiosyncratic style and relaxed comfort.
The two rooms are brightly decorated and beautifully furnished, complete with ipod docking stations, private balcony decks and luxurious en suite bathrooms. A lower sitting room and an upper sun deck provide comfortable areas for guests to relax, as well as the perfect setting for enjoying a delicious personally cooked supper.
Make a cruise on the Lotus part of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to India and you experience the gentle tranquillity of exploring by boat. A typical cruise will take you along seldom-reached and beautiful Malabar backwaters or to Valiyaparamba a hauntingly picturesque inland lake, or the 18th century Sultan Canal, built by the ‘Tiger of Mysore’. And along the way you’re likely to see unspoiled villages, hidden temples and shrines and birds like egrets and orange-breasted kingfishers with iridescent wings.
Cruises include: Nirvana • Honeymoon Package • Wellness Package • Cooking Cruise
The Lotus Houseboat, at a glance
- Just two traditionally syled suites with teak floors
- Large observation windows and veranda's
- Generous en suites
- Ethnic furniture and temple-style murals
- Wide observation sun deck
- Indoor lounge and dining
- Ayurvedic massage and yoga lessons
- Super quiet engines and efficient air conditioning
Where will The Lotus take you?
- One night/two day cruise through the languid backwaters of Malabar, a mystical region of northern Kerala. From The Lotus Point near Neeleshwar Hermitage, past Snake Temple, Valiyaparamba village to Monkey Island. The second day takes you to the Shiva Temple at Payyannur and onwards to the Sultan Canal
- Two night/three day cruise also includes the Shri Mutthappan Temple to witness an important evening ceremony. Return to Neeleshwar