Rich in character and old-world charm, this elegant boutique hotel is surrounded by its own 100-acre estate where you’ll find pretty tea fields and sparkling waterfalls.
Beautifully converted from a traditional, 1930s planter’s residence, Ashburnham Estate has retained much of its historic charm. The property offers just six spacious guestrooms, each decorated in its own unique style but all with plush four-poster beds and private bathrooms. Most rooms have a private outdoor area in the form of a balcony or terrace. Meals, served in the open-plan dining area, are prepared by a Kandyan chef and feature fresh ingredients sourced locally or from the on-site vegetable garden.
Days at Ashburnham can be blissfully spent mountain biking, taking guided tours of the tea fields and exploring hidden corners of the estate. Cooking classes are also on offer, as well as nature treks with the resident naturalist. Those who wish to venture further afield will find many of the Cultural Triangle’s top attractions - from the Temple of the Tooth to the stunning cave temple complex of Dambulla - within reach of Ashburnham Estate.
Ashburnham Estate, at a glance
- Charming boutique hotel, converted from a 1930’s planter’s estate and set on a working tea plantation
- Just one hour north-east of Kandy
- Beautiful views stretching towards the Knuckles Mountains
- Six uniquely designed guestrooms
- Double rooms can be combined to make a great area for families
- All with large four-poster beds, comfy mattresses and duvets
- Open-plan dining and lounge area with a log fire
- Daily housekeeping and laundry service
- Dine on regional and international cuisine, prepared using locally sourced produce and ingredients plucked from the onsite vegetable garden
For leisure and pleasure
- Swimming pool with glorious views across the tea plantation
- Take a day trip to Kandy where you can discover the Temple of the Tooth and the Botanical Gardens
- Visit the ancient rock fortress of Sigiriya or the famous caves of Dambulla
- Explore the surrounding tea fields with the estate manager
- Swim under waterfalls
- Mountain biking
- Insightful treks in the local area alongside the resident naturalist
- Enjoy a cooking class
- Relax in the beautiful gardens