A beautifully converted tea planters’ bungalow, Thotalagala retains its rich colonial heritage and combines it with chic, modern luxuries.
You’ll find Thotalagala nestled on a 145-year-old estate in one of the country’s premier tea growing regions. It has just seven suites, all furnished in classic colonial-era fashion with king size beds, polished wooden floors and antique fittings. Named after leading figures in the development of the Uva province, each suite pays tribute to its namesake with charming touches like chandeliers in the George Pilkington Suite, a cosy library and fireplace in the Rev. Walter Senior Suite and classic railway images in the John Duncan Suite.
Your time here can be spent hiking, biking and birdwatching in the surrounding area, strolling through pretty tea gardens or venturing further afield to monasteries, national parks and waterfalls. Guests of Thotalagala also enjoy exclusive access to the neighbouring Dambatenne Tea Factory, founded in the 19th century by Sir Thomas Lipton, as well as the bungalow which was his residence for 20 years. Dining is enjoyed family-style around a large communal table, where both international and regional cuisine is served.
Thotalagala, at a glance
- Charming boutique hotel on the historic Pitaratmalie Estate in the town of Haputale, south east Sri Lanka
- Surrounded by 20 acres of lawns with gorgeous views across the verdant, rolling tea fields
- Just seven luxuriously furnished suites dedicated to key figures in the Uva tea region
- King beds, en suite bathrooms and a shared infinity pool
- Colours and designs inspired by the colonial-era
- In-room amenities include ceiling fans, complimentary Wi-Fi and bottled water
- Enjoy after dinner drinks in the plush, teak-panelled cigar room
- Wholesome meals in the twenty-seater dining room
For leisure and pleasure
- Swimming pool
- Enjoy a tour of the historic Dambatenne Tea Factory
- See the view from ‘Lipton’s Seat’ high in the Poonagala Hills
- Stroll through picturesque tea gardens
- Enjoy fantastic hiking and trekking in the surrounding area
- Hire a bicycle and explore on your own two wheels
- Excursions to Horton Plains National Park, the Diyaluma Falls and Nuwara Eliya
- Within a couple hours’ drive from Kandy, the south coast beaches and wildlife parks of Yala and Udawalawe are easy to combine with a stay here