An infinitely stylish hotel, in the midst of a centuries-old fort built from coral and rock, at the southern tip of the Teardrop Island, overlooking the Indian Ocean.
Is this one of the most romantic, intriguing, friendly, distinctive and beautiful destinations on the planet? Take a luxury, tailor-made holiday to Sri Lanka and stay in the Fort Bazaar in the centre of Galle’s old fort, and you will almost certainly answer ‘yes’. The hotel is a tastefully reclaimed Dutch mansion offering world class modern amenities. It is a masterpiece and, better still, it stands on Galle’s colourful Church Street in the heart of a vast town/fort constructed over 300 years ago by Dutch empire-builders.
Walk around the fort’s ramparts and you’ll have sweeping views of the Indian Ocean. Descend the time-worn stairways and you’ll be able to swim from tiny, sandy beaches. Talk to the locals, buy hand-made lace and experience a place you’ll never forget.
Fort Bazaar, at a glance
- Beautifully restored 17th century, period townhouse in the heart of a bustling fort
- Choice of 18 rooms and suites arranged on two landings, surrounding a quaint inner courtyard
- Many have private terraces or balconies, all have irresistible views over the courtyard or life in the streets of Galle
- Cool white interiors with high ceilings
- Tented beds and very stylish designer bathrooms
- Church Street Social Restaurant in the courtyard offering international and Sri Lankan food at its very best
For leisure and pleasure
- Perfectly placed to revel in the 300 year old fort with its tiny, twisting streets, ramparts overlooking the ocean and banyan-shaded town square
- Discover tiny local shops, home restaurants and jewellery stores
- Buy beautiful hand-made lace and artefacts from street traders
- Explore the hectic spice, produce and fish markets beyond the fortress walls
- Take tuc tuc rides to neighbouring beaches and temples
- Go on whale watching trips, safaris and visits to traditional gemstone producers