Actually, if you decide to make Gal Oya Lodge part of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Sri Lanka, you will experience plenty of ultimates. And an almost limitless number of unforgettable photo opportunities.
The Lodge stands on the edge of the Gal Oya National Park. This almost forgotten wilderness has the country’s largest lake, so boat safaris take you close to the wildlife and almost up alongside elephants that swim and gamble in the crystal waters. There are also game drives that take you deep inside the park, to encounter monkeys, crocodiles, fascinating reptiles and an array of exotic birds.
Back at the Lodge you can swim and relax, pick organic chillies from the Lodge farm or arrange to meet the Veddas – Sri Lanka’s original inhabitants.
Gal Oya Lodge, at a glance
- Comfortable safari lodge on the edge of the Gal Oya National Park
- Only three and a half hours from Kandy and Sigiriya
- Choice of eight spacious bungalows nestled beneath the forest canopy, plus a two bedroom villa overlooking Gal Oya and the surrounding countryside
- Bungalows feature large bedrooms and living rooms
- Floor-to-ceiling windows for spectacular views
- Private verandas
- En suite bathrooms with indoor and outdoor showers
- Thatched roofs and local wood furnishings
- Excellent restaurant serving regional and international cuisine, plus bar
For leisure and pleasure
- Swimming pool with sun deck
- Jeep safaris to explore the jungle wilderness
- Drives to encounter the wildlife of Gal Oya National Park
- Trips to the Nigala River flowing beneath a boulder field
- Boat safaris on Sri Lanka’s largest lake
- Riverbank picnics
- Countryside nature walks with expert guides
- Brilliant birdwatching
- Organic farm growing chillies and spices
- Cultural visits to the Veddas – Sri Lanka’s indigenous people