The fragrance of fresh-picked tea still permeates the air and the fabric of the building. But nowadays the Heritance Tea factory has another atmosphere; one of utter luxury.
Sri Lankan locals – especially those who have never been to the UK – will assure you that Nuwara Eliya is exactly like Scotland. Well, it does have a golf course near the centre of town. But if you stay at Heritance Tea Factory on your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Sri Lanka you’ll find it’s more like 19th century Ceylon.
The atmosphere harks back to an age of elegance, when acres of glistening tea bushes receded into the gentle hillside mists and the ritual of serving tea was an art form. But the old factory also welcomes you with some decidedly 21st century luxuries; bedrooms with floor-to-ceiling windows revealing fantastic views, chic en suites, an elegant spa and brilliant restaurant. Plus, of course, the best cup of tea in the world.
Heritance Tea Factory, at a glance
- World class hotel in a completely refurbished tea factory
- Choice of 54 superior and premium rooms with spacious en suite bathrooms
- Floor-to-ceiling windows giving you sweeping views over the tea bush-covered hills
- Period, dark wood décor contrasting pleasantly with modern furnishings and amenities
- Oversized beds and beamed ceilings
- Restaurant in the factory’s old sifting room, serving first class regional and international food, plus unique Railway Carriage Restaurant
For leisure and pleasure
- Elegant spa offering a range of treatments, pampering rituals and therapies
- Tea tasting sessions, with insight into the gathering, processing and blending of the world’s favourite drink
- Pick your own tea, wearing traditional tea-pickers’ saris or sarongs
- Golf at a nearby course
- Working tea factory visits
- Hot air balloon rides giving horizon-wide panoramic views over the area
- Great base for visiting St Clair’s Falls, Mahakudugala Peak and Pidurutalagala