How better to experience the rich natural beauty of Sri Lanka’s Hill Country than from the comfort of this tastefully refurbished colonial bungalow.
Framed by tea fields, Nine Skies sits atop a hill in Demodera just on the outskirts of the small town of Ella. The property itself, an elegant five-bedroom bungalow, dates back to the colonial era but has been lovingly updated to include all the modern amenities and comforts you’d expect. These are combined with an exceptional butler service, gourmet dining and swimming pool with lovely views across the tea-carpeted valley and famous Demodara railway line.
The timber-floored guestrooms are wonderfully atmospheric with their canopied, four-poster king beds, pretty French windows and garden terraces. A relaxing haven when not exploring the treasures beyond. Gourmet meals are served indoors or out on the garden veranda, whilst afternoon tea can be taken in the cosy sitting room. As well as many scenic walks in the surrounding area, Nine Skies is the perfect base for visiting the iconic Nine Arches Bridge, touring nearby tea estates and hiking to the top of mini Adam’s Peak. You can even see the tea-production process at a local tea factory.
Nine Skies, at a glance
- Luxurious five-bedroom tea bungalow hotel dating back to the colonial era
- Named after the ‘nine skies’ which can be seen through the arches of the Demodara Nine Arch Bridge
- Far-reaching views across the valley and Demodara ‘Loop’
- Five bedrooms and suites opening onto private garden terraces
- Ensuite bathrooms with rain showers and bathtubs
- Atmospheric restaurant overlooking the landscaped gardens
- Enjoy your favourite drinks in the cosy sitting room
- Hearty breakfasts, a selection of curries for lunch and a la carte dinners
- A 10-minute walk from Demodara Railway Station and a 15-minute drive to Ella
For leisure and pleasure
- Swimming pool
- Enjoy scenic hikes up Ella Rock and Mini Adam’s Peak
- A variety of beautiful walks in the surrounding area
- Visit nearby tea estates on your own or with a butler guide
- Learn about the tea production process at the local Finlay’s Tea Factory
- Enjoy day trips to the colonial-era towns of Haputale and Bandarawela
- Go swimming in pristine waterfalls
- Enjoy picnics in private, scenic locations