Step back in time to an era of opulent elegance at the beautifully restored, 19th-century colonial manor of Tamarind Hill, just a stone’s throw from Galle’s historic treasures.
Contemporary comforts and lavish colonial living combine in the 12 amply sized guestrooms and suites. Each is tastefully decked out in fine colonial furniture with traditional four-poster king beds, beautiful bathrooms and rain showers. Plus a few welcome, modern additions such as LED TVs, internet access and air-conditioning. The two suites in particular are visions of old-world opulence with their expansive private balconies, claw foot bathtubs and fine antiques.
Intimate dinners can be enjoyed under the shade of tamarind trees in the open courtyard or air-conditioned restaurant, whilst the inviting lounge is a lovely spot to relax with a cup of fine Ceylon tea. The turquoise pool, framed by rich tropical foliage, palm trees and plush loungers, is perfect for a refreshing dip in warm weather.
Another of Tamarind Hill’s highlights is its location, a peaceful spot just one mile from the impressive, UNESCO World Heritage-listed Galle Fort, as well as the town’s many museums, restaurants and boutique shops.
Tamarind Hill, at a glance
• Chic boutique hotel occupying an aristocratic heritage manor in the historic city of Galle
• Atmospheric design featuring high timber vaulted ceilings, arched doorways and spacious verandas
• Guests are accommodated in a total of 10 guestrooms and two amply sized suites
• Rooms are uncluttered and feature dark colonial wood furnishings, four-poster king beds and extravagant bathrooms
• Bathrooms feature rain showers and luxury Ayurveda toiletries
• Amenities include air-conditioning, LED TV, free Wi-Fi, tea/coffee makers and electronic safes
• On-site restaurant serves a mix of Sri Lankan and international cuisine featuring fresh seafood and grilled dishes
For leisure and pleasure
• Just one mile from the impressive ramparts of the 17th century Galle Fort
• Lovely, swimmable beaches are just a short dry away
• Serene swimming pool enveloped by lush foliage
• Enjoy pampering treatments at the spa
• Stylish bar and lounge offering a variety of wines and classic cocktails
• River cruises and fishing expeditions can be arranged, as well as whale watching and numerous water sports