You catch your breath as your elephant carries you through the warm shallow sea, towards Taprobane Island. A fantastical white mansion with red tiled roofs peeping through the deep greens of the forest canopy. As you draw closer you see you’re about to land at an ornate, white, water gate through which any number of heads of state, members of royal families, writers and artists have entered the private world of Traprobane Island.
Ashore, the magic continues. Balconies and verandas overlook the beach and the azure Indian Ocean. An infinity pool nestles amongst two acres of rich tropical gardens. Smiling staff are always on hand to cater for your every whim. If the island’s address was No1, Sri Lanka it would be entirely appropriate.
Taprobane Island, at a glance
- A stunning private island standing in the shallows of the Indian Ocean
- 200 yards off the southern coast of Weligama Bay
- 30 minutes from Galle
- Four double bedrooms and one twin
- All with en suites and private balconies or verandas
- Superb Sri Lankan and fusion food served in your choice of setting, anywhere on the island
For leisure and pleasure
- Fabulous beach and infinity edge swimming pool in rambling tropical gardens
- Walk through an Eden of flame trees, frangipani, bougainvillea, orchids, monkey tail, fuchsias, bromeliads, heliconia and palm trees
- Perfect base for visiting temples, Galle Fort, rainforest, lowland tea plantations and wildlife reserves
- Shaded terraces and verandas for relaxing, painting, writing…