A serene boutique retreat in the untouched hills of northern Laos where you can hike, mountain bike and explore colourful tribal villages.
Crafted by its French-Lao owners on the banks of the Nam Pak River, Muang La Lodge offers its guests a rare glimpse into one of the most pristine corners of Southeast Asia. The unspoilt village of Muang La is just a stone’s throw away, and you’ll be able to spend your time immersing yourself in the charms of everyday village life. Scenic treks into the surrounding jungle will introduce you to ethnic minority tribes like the Hmong and Khmu, whilst mountain biking, scenic river cruises and 4x4 excursions can also be arranged.
And when you want to relax, the lodge has its own sauna and thermal spring-fed pools to sink into. The restaurant here serves up delicious Lao-French fusion cuisine using produce grown in the garden, as well as salt extracted from the river. Employing the majority of its staff from the local area, the lodge prides itself on the harmonious relationship it maintains with both the local community and natural surroundings. Tucked into tropical gardens, the lodge is made up of just 10 comfortable rooms, each fitted with locally crafted furniture, hot showers and balconies from which to drink in the charming views.
Muang La Lodge, at a glance
- Beautiful boutique lodge set in a remote valley overlooking the Nam Pak River
- Located in pristine northern Laos just outside of the village of Muang La
- 10 spacious and individually decorated rooms with high ceilings, locally crafted furniture, original artwork and hot showers
- Fans and air conditioning
- Digital detox with no TVs, internet or phones
- Terrazzo bathrooms decorated in wood, granite and tinted stone
- Private terraces overlooking the gardens, river or countryside beyond
- Restaurant serving five-course set dinners on a large terrace facing the river
For leisure and pleasure
- Visits to the salt fields across from the lodge
- Cookery classes in Laotian cuisine
- Trips to the Akha tribal market
- Nam Ou cruises, mountain biking and 4x4 excursions with local guides
- Trekking to the mountaintop villages of the Ihkos, Khmu and Hmong
- Two elevated hot tubs with wonderful views of the river and the mountains
- Candle-lit traditional Lao sauna and massage pavilion
- Public bath drawing water from a centuries-old thermal spring
- Infinity swimming pool