Set in tropical gardens on the banks the River Nile, the legendary Winter Palace is one of the world’s grandest old hotels.
Dating from the late 19th century, over the years the Winter Palace has played host to some of the most notable figures in modern history. It was here that Howard Carter was staying when he discovered Tutankhamun's tomb. Today, this Sofitel property still retains its distinctive blend of old-world charm and understated elegance.
The 104 rooms and six suites, housed in the original building and a newer ‘garden’ wing, are spacious and well-appointed, combining a rich colonial design with fine woods and fabrics, as well as every modern accessory. Each has views over the luxuriant gardens or the waters of the Nile.
An oasis of tranquillity in the heart of Luxor, just steps from the temples and the Valley of the Kings, the Winter Palace is the perfect base from which to immerse yourself in Egypt’s ancient sights. Back at the hotel, guests are treated to a choice of restaurants serving refined French and international cuisine in opulent settings. Afternoon tea can be taken in the Victoria Lounge, whilst the open-air Nile Terrace is the perfect place to catch the sunset over the Nile.
Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, at a glance
- Grand and characterful hotel with an illustrious history dating back to 1886
- Perched on the banks of the Nile overlooking the West Bank
- Surrounded by immaculately kept tropical gardens
- 104 rooms and suites decorated in a grand colonial style
- Some have beautiful balconies and many have fantastic views over the Nile and the necropolis of the Kings
- The prestigious ‘1886’ restaurant serves refined French cuisine while the intimate a la carte La Corniche offers an international menu
For leisure and pleasure
- Beautiful swimming pool with a sun terrace set in the garden
- Two bars where you can watch the sunset over the river
- Day tours to Luxor Temple, Karnak and the Valley of the Kings can be arranged
- Felucca boat rides across the Nile
- Traditional afternoon tea is served in the Victorian Lounge
- Leisure and sports facilities include a billiards/snooker table, table tennis and volleyball