Whether you fly into Fogo Island from Gander, or arrive more slowly by passenger ferry, you can hardly escape being completely transfixed by the rugged beauty of this remote northeast part of the Newfoundland coast.
And when you land you will not regret making Fogo Island Inn a must on your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Canada. Everywhere, nature abounds. Jagged rocks defy the irresistible force of the sea. Rugged coastal trails snake invitingly up grassy hills. Placid lakes invite exploration aboard boats hand-built by local craftsmen. The mighty sea promises whale watching and fresh cod for supper.
And in the midst of the wilderness – standing proud on stilts – is the architecturally astonishing Fogo Island Inn. Where you will be welcomed heartily, fed generously and given space to relax.
Fogo Island Inn, at a glance
- Architecturally wonderful hotel on a remote Newfoundland coast island
- Choice of just 29 guest suites, each one carefully designed to reflect the culture and nature of the island
- Hand designed wallpaper and anarchic colour themes
- Designer furniture and elegant bathrooms with fabulous from-the-tub sea views
- Award winning restaurant serving fresh regional and local food
For leisure and pleasure
- Rooftop sauna and exercise room
- Angling on inland waterways
- Whale watching and cod fishing
- Over 200 km of rugged coastal walks and nature trails
- Bread making and cookery classes
- Craft, art, boat building and furniture discovery programmes
- Star-gazing and library with warming fireplace
- Trips to Change Island and Oliver’s Cove
- Seasonal winter activities include caribou watching, cross country skiing, cabin visits, skating and skidooing