If your dream wildlife holiday includes seeing wild orangutans roaming freely in Borneo’s legendary rainforest, there are few places better suited than Sepilok Nature Resort. You might even spot one from the comfort of your own room.
Accommodation consists of a collection of charming timber chalets, all scattered amidst lush, tropical gardens studded with vivid orchids. Traditional in style and neutral in décor – with the occasional vibrant fabric – all chalets are well fitted with ensuite bathrooms and a private balcony from where you can enjoy a superb view over the gardens or lake.
This will be your base for an immersive experience in a truly pristine wilderness areas. Sabah’s rainforest is home to a remarkable cast of rare and unusual wildlife, from sun bears and proboscis monkeys to long-tailed macaques, crocodiles, pygmy elephants and a seemingly infinite array of indigenous birdlife. Night trekking alongside local guides may also reward you with sightings of nocturnal wildlife like slow loris and tarsiers. Within walking distance is the renowned Sepilok Orang-utan Rehabilitation Sanctuary where you’ll have the chance to observe rescued orangutans during daily feedings.
Sepilok Nature Resort, at a glance
- Simple but cosy jungle resort built around a natural lake in Sandakan, Sabah
- Enclosed by tropical gardens filled with over 100 different species of orchid
- Traditional and air-conditioned wooden chalets with ensuite bathrooms
- Balconies overlooking either the lake or gardens
- Polished woods and colourful fabrics
- Small restaurant, with indoor and outdoor seating, serving local and international cuisine with views overlooking the forest and lake
For leisure and pleasure
- Exceptional encounters with an array of indigenous wildlife
- Close to the Sepilok Orang-utan Rehabilitation Sanctuary and Sun Bear Conservation Centre
- Early morning hikes through the jungle
- Night walks in search of more elusive nocturnal species
- Head out birdwatching with a local guide
- Relax on the resort’s deck area in between activities