In the foothills of the Andes and surrounded by the picturesque scenery of the Chilean Lake District is Futangue Hotel & Spa. A natural paradise for guests to explore, the valley surrounding the hotel is home to some of the most biodiverse forest in the world. The hotel is in its own reserve and borders the beautiful Lago Ranco and the untouched Puyehue National Park, famous for its snow-capped volcanoes and lava fields.
The hotel has been designed to reflect the heritage of Patagonia, with native woods and materials used throughout its sixteen rooms and main lodge. Light and open spaces are complimented with atmosphere lighting, colourful textiles and traditional Mapuche artwork to give the hotel a cosy and welcoming feel.
The snug living room, complete with its grand stone fireplace, is the perfect setting for guests to relax with a glass of wine at the end of the day. Or on a sunny afternoon, guests can relax on the terrace, with a crisp glass of chardonnay and enjoy the beautiful views of the surrounding hills and forests.
The restaurant, El Mesón del Caulle serves Patagonian classics, with many ingredients coming from the surrounding forests. Beautifully fresh vegetables from the hotel’s own greenhouses, native fruits from the forests and seafood from the Valdivian coast, ensure guests experience a variety of local dishes and ingredients.
Futangue can be visited year-round and there are a huge variety of activities to discover at any time of the year. Hiking in the reserve is one of the most popular, with trails taking you through Valdivian rainforest to picturesque lakes and to some wonderful viewpoints. Here you’ll be greeted to stunning vistas of the surrounding snow-capped volcanoes and Lake Ranco. Riding, fly-fishing, kayaking and rafting are all possible too, as well exploring the reserve on mountain bike. Most activities vary in difficulty, from the relaxed to the strenuous but there is normally something to keep everyone happy.
For those looking for a more restful break, then just steps from the hotel is the spa. Constructed from local woods and volcanic stone, the spa is the perfect place to relax ease those aches and pains and pamper yourself, whilst enjoying the stunning surrounds. There is a sauna, indoor and outdoor heated pool, gym and massage room.
Note: The climate around Futangue tends to be temperate and wet, with annual rainfall of around 4,000mm. In summer temperatures range between 8 and 30C, but like anywhere in the mountains, the weather is changeable so always best to be prepared for all conditions!
Futangue Hotel & Spa, at a glance
- A nature lovers dream, close to the shores of Lago Ranco and the Puyehue National Park
- Beautifully designed and crafted hotel, set in its own reserve
- Fresh seasonal produce and local menu, specialising in local delicacies
- Just 1 ½ hours by road from Osorno airport or 2 ½ hours from Puerto Montt airport
- Can easily be combined with other parts of the Lake District, including Pucon and Puerto Varas
- Open year round with snowshoeing possible in the winter and fly-fishing in spring
For leisure and pleasure
- The Futangue Reserve is more than 13,500 hectares in size, with over 100km of varied trails to explore
- Gentle horseback riding or more advanced riding in the picturesque Trahuilco valley
- Fly fishing for rainbow trout on the beautiful Pichi and Los Coipos lakes
- Kayaking and white-water rafting on the Rininahue river
- Mountain biking through the lenga forests and surrounding countryside
- Discover the endemic fauna of the region, including the four-eyed frog. Other wildlife in the area includes the Chilean pudú (similar to a deer), bush monkeys, condors and even the elusive puma