El Retablo is a cute B&B, just a short walk from the Plaza de Armas in Cusco’s historic centre. It has been lovingly restored and mixes bright and simple rooms, with colourful Peruvian art and design.
The name El Retablo comes from a traditional Andean folk art, consisting of three-dimensional figurines in small boxes. You will see these figurines throughout the B&B - in fact there is a whole wall of retablos in the reception area!
There are just 17 rooms, which are split over two-storeys and surround a pretty courtyard. All the rooms are en-suite and have a clean and crisp design, but have been decorated using colourful Peruvian fabrics. Some of the rooms have views over the rooftops of Cusco and towards Ausangate mountain.
Breakfast includes fresh fruits, cereals, breads, cheese and cured meats and although there is no restaurant for lunch and dinner, you're only a ten minute walk from the main plaza, where there is a variety of places to eat and drink.
There is a friendly a relaxed atmosphere throughout and every day live music takes place in the courtyard accompanied by happy hour and a bonfire.
El Retablo, at a glance
- Charming B&B with only 17 rooms
- In a quiet neighbourhood of Cusco, with excellent views over the city
- Short walk to the Plaza de Armas
- Beautiful artwork throughout
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Pretty interior courtyard with live music in the evening
For leisure and pleasure
- Excellent base for sightseeing in Cusco
- Close to the San Pedro Market, Temple of the Sun, Convent of Santo Domingo and the Cusco Planetarium
- Nightlife, theatres, cafés, bars and restaurants all nearby
- Cathedral and various churches easily accessible
- Tours arranged to explore the landscapes of Peru and the magical ruins of Machu Picchu