A cluster of quaint, timber-frame buildings set among pretty grounds and pine trees, the Amara offers a homely stay in Myanmar’s Shan Mountains.
Located just outside the charming hill station of Kalaw, the Amara is a wonderful base for experiencing the cool mountains of Myanmar. Originally built as colonial residence in 1909, the property was restored to modern-day standards in 2002. Housed inside half-timbered cottages, the airy rooms ooze old-fashioned British charm with their comfy four-poster beds, smooth wooden floors and open fireplaces. Expect unobstructed views of the majestic Shan Hills mountain range.
When not enjoying day treks in the green hills surrounding the hotel, you can enjoy a swim in the pool or soothe any tired muscles with a massage in the small spa. The colourful dishes of Burma, alongside European fare, can be enjoyed in the excellent restaurant, which finds its ingredients in the onsite vegetable garden. On warmer evenings, you can take dinner out on the veranda to enjoy the incredible natural vistas.
Amara Mountain Resort, at a glance
- Colonial boutique hotel located just outside the hill station of Kalaw
- Beautiful views of the surrounding pine forests and Shan Hills
- 10 bright and spacious rooms with neutral decor, local wood furnishings and four-poster beds
- Ensuite bathrooms with a combined bathtub/shower
- Open fireplaces for warming up the chilly evenings
- Excellent restaurant serving traditional Burmese and European cuisine
- Organic vegetable garden
For leisure and pleasure
- Wonderful base for exploring nearby walking trails and villages in the mountains
- Small spa where you can unwind with a massage
- Lovely gardens to walk around in
- Swimming pool to dip into
- Outdoor terrace for al fresco dining on warmer evenings