You feel remote; cast away from the bustling busy world and far from your normal life. But within a few steps you could be surrounded by international class luxury.
You scrunch your toes through the white sand and sigh. Before you is the great Mekong River – surprisingly blue at this time of the day – and beyond is the most picturesque sight; the gloriously ruined Khmer temples of Vat Phou, one of the most romantic places in Laos.
Dong Daeng Island has a worthy place on the itinerary of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Laos, for its natural beauty, for its peace and tranquillity, and for its immaculate La Folie Lodge. This brilliant hotel settles into a lush landscape and tropical gardens, yet conspires to give you far-reaching views of the mighty Mekong. It also gives you anther taste of the traditions in this part of Laos – by serving you the finest regional delicacies in an elegant restaurant.
La Folie Lodge, at a glance
- Wonderful, lodge-style hotel on a picturesque island in the Mekong River
- Choice of 24 large and comfortable, wood panelled bedrooms arranged in 12 rustic bungalows
- Set in verdant tropical gardens
- Furnished with local materials
- Balconies with stunning river views and panoramas of the sacred hills of Vat Phou
- Plus two bedroom residence
- Excellent restaurant serving local specialities
For leisure and pleasure
- Great swimming pool
- Island setting within Champassak Cultural and Natural Heritage Landscape
- Visits to pre-Angkorian ruins
- 20 minute boat trips to Vat Phou
- Good bird watching on the island
- Traditional, seasonal local ceremonies and celebrations
- Bike rides to local ruins
- Superb walks to island cascades