Stay in clear mountain air, surrounded by the treetops of an ancient forest. And share your holiday with shining-eyed indri.
You sit out on the veranda at Vakona Forest Lodge, a glass of wine in hand, and slowly you become aware of a strange sound. It’s not raucous enough to be lemurs…then you realise you’re listening to a myriad of forest frogs.
You can expect this sort of experience at the lodge – it’s situated high on a hillside that drops down to a stunning lake. In fact, the lodge stands in water, on stilts, and is surrounded by unspoiled mountain rainforest. The perfect place to experience all manner of wildlife and see the indri; largest of all Madagascar’s famous lemurs.
Vakona Forest Lodge, at a glance
- Wonderfully remote hillside setting on a private reserve
- Three hours from the island’s capital
- Just seven km from Andasibe-Mantadia National Park
- 24 comfortable rooms with en suites and family bungalows with extra rooms Terraces with wide forest views
- Built in traditional Malagasy style to blend into the rainforest
For leisure and pleasure
- Large swimming pool
- Forest trails for fascinating nature walks
- Horse riding through the forest
- Lemur watching
- 62 resident indri groups – two very easy to trek
- Exploration of table-top rainforest flora and fauna