Home to some of Africa’s top guides, Ruckomechi Camp is made up of 10 generously sized canvas tents dotted along the banks of the Zambezi in the heart of Mana Pools National Park.
A remote, riverside setting with sensational views towards the rugged Rift Valley escarpment, Ruckomechi Camp provides a wonderful base for some truly awe-inspiring wildlife encounters. The camp sits beneath the shade of beautiful, broad-canopied albida trees - much loved by the local elephants - with a central living area and fire pit at its heart for relaxed evenings underneath the stars. The camp also boasts a beautiful star bed strategically placed next to an active waterhole.
During your stay, you’ll enjoy morning and late afternoon game drives in open jeeps, stopping for either coffee/sundowners in carefully chosen scenic locations. You’ll have access to both the private concession and national park, maximising your encounters with the region’s elephant, leopard, buffalo and lion. Other activities include canoeing and boat cruises on the river - a great way to spot water birds - and rewarding nature walks led by professional guides. When not enjoying activities, the camp’s infinity pool is a great place to unwind with its sweeping river views.
Ruckomechi Camp, at a glance
- Supremely comfortable tented camp with a remote setting within a private concession adjoining Mana Pools National Park
- Located on the banks of the Zambezi River with stunning views of the mountains of the Great Rift Valley
- Ten spacious ensuite canvas tents, including two family rooms, connected to the rest of the camp by low-level walkways
- Amenities include indoor and outdoor showers, comfy beds, fans, mosquito nets, verandas and tea and coffee making facilities
- Communal facilities include a central dining, bar, library and lounge facing the escarpment
- Buffet meals set out on a large communal dining table
- Outstanding concentrations of wildlife, especially in the dry season
For leisure and pleasure
- Drift off to the sounds of nature in the camp’s romantic star bed located next to an active waterhole
- Separate deck with a swimming pool overlooking the Zambezi River
- Cushion-strewn stargazing deck and fire pit
- Enjoy wildlife viewing on motorised pontoon boats and in canoes
- Early morning and late afternoon game drives in open Land Rovers
- Nature walks led by knowledgeable guides
- Catch-and-release fishing
- Fantastic birding in the area, with species that include the three-banded courser, western banded snake-eagle, Arnot's chat and African golden oriole