Sitting seamlessly amid an outcrop of huge granite boulders in Namibia’s Damaraland, intimate Camp Kipwe feels totally at one with its surroundings.
Guided nature drives are a wonderful way to get up close with the area’s unique deserted adapted wildlife, but guests are also free to explore the short walking trails surrounding the property to learn more about the region’s unique plants and trees. Excursions to the magnificent rock engravings at Twyfelfontein, the multi-hued Burnt Mountain and the so-called Organ Pipes complete the experience. Return in the evening for a scenic sundowner, and to share stories around the fire pit.
The camp’s naturally styled accommodation comprises just nine rustic bungalows and one honeymoon suite with rounded walls, curved roofs, open-air bathrooms and private decks that look out over the endless plains. The thatched alfresco dining area and lounge also command stunning views, and there is a refreshing plunge pool nestled among the rocks. An eco-friendly camp with sustainability at its core, Kipwe’s sustainable practices range from utilising energy-saving bulbs to harvesting and replanting indigenous plants.
Camp Kipwe, at a glance
- Eco-friendly, igloo-style camp set within the Twyfelfontein Conservancy in Damaraland
- Nine chalets and one honeymoon suite built using natural materials such as mopane and red basalt stones
- Natural, simple decor with large wraparound decks and ensuite bathrooms
- Open, thatched dining area where breakfast, lunch, dinner and afternoon tea are served
- Very comfortable lounge scattered with sofas
- Delicious meals prepared from locally grown vegetables
- Sister property to Mowani Mountain Camp, about four kilometres away
For leisure and pleasure
- 4WD safaris in search of desert-adapted elephants and black rhino
- Self-guided nature walks, or with one of Kipwe’s experienced guides
- Excursions to Twyfelfontein, Burnt Mountain and the Organ Pipes
- End each day around the firepit under the stars
- Other activities include cultural excursions and birdwatching
- Sundowner viewpoint
- Refreshing swimming pool