Birds and big game are on the cards at this splendid island camp. There are 12 safari tents each with a viewing platform over the beautiful lagoon.
Standing on its own island, in the depths of the Okavango, Belmond Eagle Island Camp is true to its name. It teems with birdlife: from fish eagles to malachite kingfisher, from Pel’s fishing owl to rare wattled cranes – a conservative estimate puts over 400 land and aquatic species at Eagle Island Camp’s door.
As well as birds, you’re very likely to see big game such as browsing elephants and giraffe, from the comfort of your hammock. Your luxurious thatched tent stands on stilts at the edge of a lagoon - its raised veranda becoming an excellent platform from which to view game. In between incredible water safaris and drives, that is.
Eagle Island Lodge, at a glance
- Discreetly tucked away on remote Xaxaba Island
- Surrounded by a web of waterways and dense vegetation
- Choice of 12 spacious safari tents with viewing platforms overlooking a game-rich lagoon
- All rooms have their own private plunge pools
- En suite bathrooms and netted four poster beds
- Excellent open air or covered dining
- Romantic bar on its own island surrounded by lily pads
For leisure and pleasure
- Large swimming pool
- Marvellous bird watching
- Water-focused safari activities including motorboat safaris, barge cruises, mekoro safaris and fishing
- Walking safaris with expert trackers pointing out bush signs and fascinating ‘wildlife in miniature’
- Relaxed fishing/wildlife trips with local fishermen
- Helicopter safaris
- Visits to nearby village