King Fasiledes could not have imagined the modern style of Mayleko Lodge, which is a short drive from the hustle and bustle of Gondar city.
There is something satisfyingly simple, and undeniably elegant, about the individual stone bungalows at Mayleko Lodge. Outside they draw architectural inspiration from traditional Northern Ethiopian homes; built from local stone with thatched roofs and porches or verandas. Inside they are uncluttered, featuring just a few, very carefully chosen pieces of traditional furniture. Floor-to-ceiling windows flood air and light, accentuating the dark wooden floors and white walls.
To experience a very different Ethiopia, it’s a short drive to the Royal Enclosure of King Fasiledes and wander around the ancient towers, archways and turrets. Or, alternatively, ride on horseback into the magnificent countryside that stretches out from Mayleko towards the majestic Dilha Mountain range. All part of a tailor-made holiday to Ethiopia.
Mayleko Lodge, at a glance
- Elegant modern lodge close to the city of Gondar
- Choice of 20 stone-built bungalows echoing the charm of historic Ethiopian homes
- Private verandas and floor-to-ceiling windows flooding light and air
- Simple but simply elegant décor, with rustic-chic furnishings
- Contemporary style en suite bathrooms
- Dining hall with traditional raftered ceiling, serving gourmet and local dishes
For leisure and pleasure
- Great swimming pool with sun decks
- Spectacular views towards the Dilha Mountains
- Just 15 km from the imposing 17th century castle of King Fasiledes
- Perfect base for exploring the historic capital
- Horse riding expeditions into the surrounding countryside
- Walking excursions