The iconic Skeleton Coast. Towering sand dunes sculpted into great curves by the wind. Wildlife that makes a living in the desert. Photographic opportunities at every turn.
Huge numbers of Cape fur seals bask on the fine sand, in unblinking sunshine. It’s an idyllic, sometimes comical scene. Yet beyond them, poking out of the water like old bones, are reminders of how the coastline acquired its sinister name; the wrecks of vessels broken on the edge of this unforgiving land.
Flying back to the camp you soar over extraordinary, wind-sculpted dune fields and vast tracts of wilderness punctuated by green oases, floodplains and dry riverbeds. From above it doesn’t seem likely that much can live in such rugged country, but you’re staying at Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp on your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Namibia – so you’ll embark on game drives and walks to see lions, elephants, giraffe, gemsbok, springbok, reptiles and insects. All perfectly desert-adapted.
Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp, at a glance
- Modern desert camp set in a spectacular valley in the private Palmwag Concession
- Choice of seven large tents and a family-sized tent
- Standing above the ground with hardwood floors
- All with stylish modern en suite bathrooms
- Shaded outdoor decks with flying canvas roofs, sofas and dining suites
- Floor-to-ceiling windows in the bedrooms, giving jaw-dropping views over uncompromising, starkly beautiful scenery
For leisure and pleasure
- Riverbed excursion safaris and game drives on the track of desert-adapted wildlife
- Night drives to follow nocturnal animals
- Guided walks to discover small animals, fascinating insects, reptiles and desert flora
- Scenic drives to the shoreline to see the rugged coastline and vast seal colonies
- Flights from the coast to the camp – giving a new perspective on the outrageous countryside
- Excursions into the lunar landscape-style scenery surrounding Hoanib
- Visits to jewel-like hidden oases and diverse bird watching