You would come to Virunga to track the mighty mountain gorilla. But you’d soon realise you were also on a ‘landscape safari’.
Of course, the real reason for your visit is to watch the gentle giants of the forest, from a respectful distance, and follow troops of golden monkeys through verdant forests. But Virunga Safari Lodge is poised at the very top of a great ridge. So it treats you to views that stretch across the horizon as far as your eyes can reach. Over the Virunga volcanoes and thousands of acres of dark green forest. Over picturesque villages on the edge of great lakes. Over terraced gardens arranged around a central, sunken Eden.
Come for the gorillas – capture the views on safari!
Virunga Safari Lodge, at a glance
- Near-magical hilltop setting in the lovely Parc National des Volcans
- Only three hours drive from Kigali and a day from Kampala
- Choice of ten individual bandas with en suites, including deluxe bandas
- Built in stone with tiled roofs
For leisure and pleasure
- Explore the fabulous Parc National des Volcans
- Spend time with one of ten local gorilla families
- Track golden monkeys
- Visit Dian Fossey’s memorial
- Climb a volcano and hike to sparkling waterfalls
- Watch traditional Intore dancers
- Cultural visits to local villages, school and community projects